Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Louvre

Today we nixed class for the Louvre. Some of my favorites:

The Seated Scribe, Ancient Egypt. For realistic depiction (generally known for) and blue inlaid eyes (personal liking).

Nike of Samothrace. I was on an ardent hunt for this piece while there - not the Mona Lisa - and ended up randomly stumbling upon it, which proved to be the most breathtaking. I decided that I'd prefer the Nike to be headless; makes things more interesting and questioning to the eye and mind.

And of course, the Mona Lisa. This was not one of my favorites, though I feel it necessary to post the "I've seen this" painting. That attitude right there upsets me now and greatly did before in other viewers earlier today at the museum. I can only describe it as hundreds of paparazzi around the painting which is smaller than most people would expect it to be. It upset me to observe all the people gathered around it literally pushing and shoving each other out of the way not to admire it broadly or in detail, but just to grab a frontal picture. I, personally, was intrigued by the muted, murky coloring that seems to look so different in person apart from just pictures.

I have been thinking about these everyday since the first time I saw them last week; something which rarely happens and proves it's true. Super well-made, classic and good for sundresses :) Laces up and around the ankle.

Good ones from today:
- Context: Goth girl in front of painting at Louvre when trying to take picture. Christina and Jen consecutively: "God, goth girl, move." Goth girl turns around.
- Context: When waiting for Peter in dressing room, other guy coming out to show clothes to family. Christina (quiet): "That looks terrible." Jen (loud): "Yeah, that looks horrible." Family looks.
Lesson learned: Though it is France and they do speak a language other than English, that still does not mean that people cannot understand you.

Listening: Go-between Porqoui, Canoodle and Plastic Beach Ft. Mick Jones & Paul Simon, Gorillaz.

No comments:

Post a Comment