Thursday, June 3, 2010

Versailles Day Trip. "I'm happy as a clam."


Gilded view from afar. This isn't even in the general courtyard entrance yet. Needless to say, I was just impressed with the parking lot itself.

Hall of Mirrors. If I could choose all places to swoon in, it would be here (remove all blemishes that are people and just picture it for its original aesthetic worth). Not only because of its beauty, but its history. A variety of court functions (balls, feted births and marraiges) and The Treaty of Versailles, ending World War I, was also ironically signed here (just for my old AP Euro-goers)

Inside the Hall of Mirrors.

Les jardins!

Overlooking the gardens.
Photo cred: Miss Mary

In the gardens!

Marie Antoinette had this replica of a then, present-day village especially built just so she could play peasant (seriously).

From dear Mireille, author of French Women Don't Get Fat, we found ourselves concocting and eating her infamous leek soup, in the quest of some detox. With some added tomato, prosciutto, fig and cheese bruschetta with hummus and a baguette. It's all about recasting, guys.

I'm also proud to say that I avoided all combinations of sweets today. Since I've been here, I realized the other day that after all meals (including breakfast, when I have the time) I automatically expect something sweet after. Back home, I would be horrified of dessert for all physical and monetarily-unnecessary reasons; which is true, in all honesty, but I love my eclairs and you can only get the best here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment