Friday, May 14, 2010

Catch-up & Day 1

Ah, ok. Everything has been rather hectic; I just figured that I have been up for 48 hours straight give or take some airplane sleep if you can call that sleep at all. I am writing in the cafe downstairs of our hotel where we can only get wifi in the lobby (or else we have to pay for internet in our rooms) so paired with the exhaustion, excuse all haphazardness. Also, need I mention, that there are no outlets to charge my phone and/or computer in the room. If there are, they are blocked by a wall purposefully. Thankfully we are only staying here for 3 days.

The flights themselves from Phoenix -> Atlanta, Atlanta -> Paris were rather expected and smooth. I had to sit sandwiched between these two random guys; on my left, an older Indian man whom I initially shared the gift of cynic complaining with, but even he surpassed my talent in that and just got annoying. On my right, another study abroad student from University of Tennessee who ordered three beers and two bottles of white wine. I realized three-quarters of the way through the international flight that he was ridiculously smart doing so on such a long flight. I ended up getting through all of French Women Don't Get Fat... I'm divided in the sense that I feel that all that was said was common sense and repeated differently, consecutively (i.e. eat fruits and vegetables, watch your portion sizes, treat yourself sparingly, oh, did I mention that French women only eat fresh fruits and vegetables, etc.), but on the other hand, it's making me more conscious of what's in front of me (i.e. refusing to eat the "non-real" yogurt served on the plane for breakfast). Horrible. Worst timing to read that book when you're entrapped at an airport and airplane. Don't do it.

When getting from the airport to the hotel, we had to take the RER train. I have never been on such a quiet mode of transportation in my life, let alone personally calling myself "loud." We were the only ones talking and the train was packed, not including the random accordion man at the first stop. One could just imagine what a shock these people would get if they were placed on a bustling New York subway.

Arriving at the hotel with much time to spare (about 11:30 a.m. and our meeting wasn't until 16:00), we stopped for a bite to eat at some corner restaurant obviously catering to tourists so I won't mention anything more of it and walked around to get a feel of the area. I am already impressed with how the French dress. Since it is cold and sparsely rainy here, lots and lots of peacoats. I've noticed a common trend of low-heeled shoes for women as well. I think that the elderly women strolling the boulevards with their closely polished, yet natural style embody the epitome of the old French style and its persistence in modern life in how presenting oneself is an art to be taken seriously in this culture.

Very busy day tomorrow, and I don't care for the suggested advice given to go out and about and make yourself stay up until "at least midnight." Nope, heading to bed now at 20:15.

Pictures and more interesting stories promised for tomorrow.

Bonne nuit!




No comments:

Post a Comment