Saturday, May 15, 2010


I'm stupid and realized this afternoon that I did not bring my camera cord to transport my photos off of my camera onto my computer. Darn! I had a great one of shopping and at the Eiffel Tower, too. After lunch at the Tower, a group of us figured out the Metro to get to l'Arc de Triomphe and eventually went down Champs-Elysees through to the other end of the street to the Tuileries Garden. More on that later, though. We'll be back in that area soon to visit the Louvre.

Going back in time, I woke up this morning naturally at 6:30 a.m. (What a shocker, right? Actually, not really, since it would be more so considered to be "pushing my limits" in regards to my regular insomniac tendencies back home. Whatever, I can only hope to dream and exclaim myself to be a "morning person" in Paris). All up so early, Mary, Katie and I decided to go out and purchase our Pariscopes, of which we were supposed to get yesterday evening. Apparently they were out at the newstand (reminder, this is about 7:30 a.m. now), so we got a Paris Practique which is essentially pointless, instead. With time to kill we went to a "legit Parisian cafe" (yes, that quote is mine...now looking back, unfortunately so. And I do have the name of the cafe along with its address, however it's in my written journal I carry around to randomly jot things down), and honestly, it was one of the most relaxing experiences I have felt in a long while. I could perfectly-defined-well say that I felt awake and relaxed. Let me say that again. AWAKE and RELAXED. What, what!! I figured that the last time I felt that way was last summer. Such a rare feeling, both of them by themselves, but the two combined, almost inconceivable. But it happened. I have pinned down that perfect state of being to not only being physically well (nourished, sleep, etc.), psychologically well (mainly, feeling things are in order and for the best) but also environment. I had never realized how important the actual setting of things are and how it affects your physical and mental responses to things. The un-rushed, calm feeling of early morning Paris in the little cafe is really indescribable. It was just so nice to sit back in the chair (another thing I realized, I'm usually very physically uptight and sit stick-straight in chairs) with a cafe creme and not leave until we wanted to, having to ask for le cheque. I think that if I had my way, I'd sit there through till noon ordering just two cafe cremes, writing and people watching. With that, I have a greater understanding and appreciation for Hemingway.

I feel as if there is so much to say, and I do wish I had brought down my written journal with me to record more interesting specifics of my day so far instead of summarized generalizations.

In regards to the camera-photo issue, for now if I see something extremely necessary for here, I'll just have to take it on my phone and import/upload it here.

As for now, I know it's not Paris, but here's a picture of me in my hotel room IN Paris :)

3 comments:

  1. It's fashionable (or will be once you get to A Moveable Feast) to bring up Hemingway's drinking, but perhaps you can trade the coffee for scotch and have a Hemingway-moment of another sort.

    I had similar observations about the effect of environment, but to some extent you can mold your relationship to place with sufficient effort and a bit of distance -- appreciating Phoenix is worthy challenge, though.

    Hopefully you'll later enjoy the fruits of your writing as much as I have mine. Recounting events isn't nearly as interesting as describing reflections, and neither can match introspective musings.

    Bon voyage! (I always think of that phrase as having a nautical connotation...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Peter! Hemingway is one of my most favorite writers so I guess I can say I'm ahead of the group :)

    ReplyDelete