Friday, May 21, 2010

Normandy

I had a really bad caffeine headache this evening, turned pre-stage migraine, back-turned to current headache thanks to some lent Advil
: /.

Of all days, today Mary and I overslept, and we didn't even go out last night. It was one of those "what the heck happened" moments when you wake up to your phone alarm next to you in bed. It obviously rang at 7:10, but it didn't register till an hour later (we had to leave at 8:45). We scrambled down to breakfast just in time to hopefully salvage a croissant (damn croissants, getting so sick of them). To our glory there was CHEESE and FRUIT and MEAT (not for me, obvs, just added to the list to note the newfangled excitement of food change) and just enough time to grab part of a baguette, cheese and apple ravenously before setting off to our first destination: Le Musee du Debarquement. Here we were briefed on the paired technical-natural detailing of the military setup leading up to D-Day. Interesting, but honestly, I was confused and tired as hell during the tour and sleep shuddered during the short, about 15-minute movie.

I'd have to say that the most interesting part was actually going out onto the beach and seeing the remaining concrete barriers and remains within the Channel.
Peter, Jen, Marian and Kevin on the beach.
Jennifer and I.

Second and last destination for the day: Omaha Beach / American cemetery. Beautiful and serene, I think this was the outing everyone has gotten the most into so far, interestingly enough.

When we returned to Bayeaux (yep, I found out exactly which town we are staying in), Jen, Marian and I decided to go shopping. After scouring the streets and being unimpressed by sulky envelope-like clothes for mid-thirty-somethings, but super impressed by the patisseries, we finally found a shop called Mes Amies M'ont Dit, translated as "My Friends Told Me So." Let's just say, some serious stuff went down. All three of us ended up trying on the same style dress in different colors without knowing it at all. And the things definitely followed us out of the store as well.

With an end for now, I cannot express enough just how excited I am to finally go back to Paris and officially move into our apartments for the remainder of the stay tomorrow :)


No comments:

Post a Comment