Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Special K Type of Day

From yesterday:
Facade of Notre Dame cathedral. I wouldn't consider myself to be religious, generally, but I do love old cathedrals. I guess I would describe the awe-inspired feeling derived from an appreciative historical aspect I get from them to be "spiritual." (I have more to comment on this; save for later.)
The girls with Notre Dame as backdrop.
Sainte Chapelle. Famed for its mirroring stained glass windows, flamboyant gothic style architecture. The glass itself dates from the 13th century, 70% still original and intact.

Today: Feat.
Somehow got through 4 hours of class followed by Medieval section of the Louvre, which between the two, includes a grueling hot, stuffy, Purell-filled Metro ride.
394 Cultural Decadence class:
Peter: "What do you want to do for dinner tonight?"
Me: "Not pesto pasta."
After feeling really shitty all day, I got this random wave of hyper-ness during our professor-led tour of the medieval foundations of the Louvre, which are presently located in the basement. After seeing the Venus de Milo (pictured below), I progressively felt sick again and had to sit down and eventually leave early(ish) compared to everyone else. We are scheduled to have an all-day Louvre day sometime next week so I'll be sure to plan ahead.

Venus de Milo. No one cares, but I'll say it again: first nude female depiction of antiquity.

Mary, Jen and I outside of the Louvre! By the way, this was taken close to 20:00 (8:00 p.m.) and it's still light out.

Also, Mary Richardson, just wanted to say again that you are the sweetest thing, and that I'm having some Special K right now ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment