Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Omelette du fromage, please

All I want is an omelette du fromage. And two eclairs; one before omelette, one after. This is all getting just almost unhealthy. I think the two food groupings even each other out, though. We determined today that French people are obsessed with Italian food and trying to interpret it on their own (I have never seen so many pizzerias in my life), picnic food (bread, cheese, fruit, etc. you individually get at a market and eat outside) or you get indoor picnic food (same thing except inside restaurants where you pay much more). I don't know, maybe we're missing something.
One of the chocolate eclairs and the circular dessert on the bottom left (need to find out the name) was both mine, of which I'm proud to say I ate consecutively after a lunch of fondue 4 fromage and a salad.

Today we visited the Chateau Chenonceau in the French countryside. I thought it was fitted bliss to listen to Beirut on the bus ride there. My determined state of happiness would be to fall asleep listening to Beirut on the grass in the middle of the countryside. I've always considered myself to be an "urban" person, but the French middle of nowhere certainly is beautiful.
Oh, did I mention that the cheateau had an actual moat that is still kept up? The wall behind us is the barrier. Pretty sweet.

Garden at the side of the chateau.

For dinner we went back to the Au Coin d'Table where I had a salade tomate mozzarella au pesto with frites maison and later a cafe creme along with a coupe de glace caramel split between Jen and I. Other reasons we came back to this restaurant besides our wonderful dessert experiences last night was because the waiter was courteous and friendly. Unable to explain what exactly something was on the menu, he went back twice to online translate "eggplant" and something else from French to English for us.
Also, the restaurant has two house kitties that are not only ridiculously cute, but quiet and friendly if you welcome them. This little one just jumped into Marian's lap while finishing up dinner and stayed there resting for quite some time :)

Really wanted another creme at the cafe down the street before bed, but the same creepers who were there two hours before were still there, now inside. So, je ne sais pas...no, I did not end up getting it. And I really need to stop editorializing my weird habits.

I have also noticed that the French are obsessed with wallpaper. I wonder - when they come over to the States, do they find our most usually blank walls to be strange? (Rhetorical question; no answers unless you personally know someone French).

Thought I would upload this just for fun - this is from a restaurant which seemed to me to be the French version of an American diner. I took this with my camera phone so hence, poor definition. Notice "tenager's" for "teenager's" and "A surprise" under the "little kids menu." Oh, funny French.

Tomorrow we leave for Normandy for the next two days. Expected to be very cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment